Matthews, North Carolina
Matthews is a fast-growing town in southeastern Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Matthews’s population is roughly 32,500, a 30 percent increase in the past decade. Prized for its not-too-close and not-too-far 25-minute commute to Uptown Charlotte, Matthews gives its residents a small-town feel that is still close to the city center where many work. Matthews has even become a weekend destination for many Charlotte families as they take children to play sports at the state-of-the-art Matthews Sportsplex or take time on a Saturday morning to visit the Matthews Farmers Market.
Although Matthews has become a population center for commuters working in Charlotte, it has a vibrant economy of its own. Tracts of undeveloped land have been converted into office space in recent years, and many national and international businesses now call Matthews home. In addition, the thriving small business presence in Matthews ensures that, no matter how many big businesses set up shop, the small-town charm that made Matthews such an endearing destination in the first place remains intact. North Trade Street, the main street of Matthews, features sidewalks lined with small business shops and a still-active railroad line that bisects the town as a reminder of its past. It serves as a wonderful place for an afternoon walk.
Matthews’s highly regarded schools serves as another factor which drives the town’s rapid population growth. Matthews Elementary, Cotswold Middle, and Butler High School are all desirable places to send your children to school. Butler High school is a diverse high school environment with many high-level Honors and AP course offerings for students. In addition, the Levine Middle College is an honors program in Matthews that allows high schoolers to graduate in four years plus one additional year with either an associate’s degree or two years of transfer credits under their belt. All Matthews public schools are under the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System.
Just as Matthews’ schools are under the Mecklenburg County system, so is its justice system. If you are from Matthews and have a court date, it will take place at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse at 832 East Fourth St, Charlotte, NC 28202. However, Matthews has a separate police department from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, and any attorney taking a case from Matthews needs to be familiar with local ordinances that may differ from Charlotte. The criminal attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are intimately familiar with these subtle nuances, and can provide expert guidance when it comes to handling criminal issues. Specifically, our attorneys can assist with issues including:
- Property crime (allegations of theft, breaking and entering, robbery, embezzlement, workplace theft, identity theft, fraud and other white-collar crimes)
- Sex offenses (including sexual assault, rape, crimes against nature, questions about the sex offender registry, etc.)
- Assault and issues related to domestic violence
- Expungement requests
- Drunk driving (DWI, DUI, boating while impaired, driver’s license suspension, driver’s license revocation, etc.)
- Drugs (including possession, sale, and trafficking charges, and issues related to marijuana use and possession)
- Traffic infractions (including speeding, seat belt issues, reckless driving, etc.)
- Violent criminal matters (such as murder, felony murder and manslaughter)
In addition to our expertise in a variety of criminal law matters, our civil attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, assist with a wide array of civil law issues that a Matthews resident may face. Our attorneys’ work includes things like divorce/family law issues, custody disputes, personal injury cases, and business disputes or litigation. More specifically, our civil attorneys assist with issues including:
- Issues concerning divorce and/or separation
- Property division in divorce (including equitable distribution, valuation of marital property, determination of separate pre-marital property, etc.)
- Issues concerning alienation of affection, infidelity, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and abandonment
- Support-related matters (including spousal support, the impact of adultery on spousal support requests, lifetime alimony, support modification and termination requests, etc.)
- Same-sex issues (including same-sex adoption, divorce and custody issues)
- Child support issues (such as the awarding of temporary child support, permanent child support, modification of child support orders, impact of job loss on child support, etc.)
- Custody questions (including concerns about custody division, parenting agreements, visitation requests, custody modification requests, and termination of parental rights).
- Personal injury issues (such as slip-and-fall injuries, car accident cases, truck accident cases, medical malpractice matters, product liability incidents, etc.)
- Business disputes (such as contractual disagreements, claims of fraud or deceptive business practices)
Our attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are at home in Mecklenburg County courts, having been founded in the area. Our Charlotte office is located three blocks away from the Mecklenburg County Courthouse at 200 N McDowell St, Charlotte, NC 28204. Our knowledge and experience in the area can be put to good use when we assist clients with legal matters anywhere in Mecklenburg or the surrounding counties. If you require assistance with a legal matter in Matthews, North Carolina, do not hesitate to reach out to the experienced attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, at 704.370.2828. We are happy to help in whatever ways we can.