Cornelius, North Carolina
Cornelius is a lakeside town along Lake Norman in northern Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. With a population of around 30,000, when combined with nearby Huntersville and Davidson, it forms the largest suburban area of Charlotte, NC. Cornelius is located on the shores of Lake Norman, which serves as a main draw for its residents. Michael Jordan was impressed enough by the location to purchase a house in the town on the lake, where he lives when he is in the Charlotte area.
Lake Norman serves not only as a draw for residents, but also as a draw for tourists. Renowned for its fishing and watersports, Lake Norman is a common weekend destination for many Charlotte residents looking to get out of the city and onto the water. On summer weekends and holidays, the lake and Cornelius are flooded by Charlotteans making the drive North on Interstate 77 to cool off and shop alongside the water.
Like much of the northern Charlotte area, Cornelius has a significant NASCAR presence. Many NASCAR drivers such as Brad Keselowski and Michael Waltrip take advantage of the town’s setting to build lakefront homes where they live during the offseason, close to the headquarters of race shops in Concord, Kannapolis, and Mooresville. In addition, Champion Tire and Wheel, one of the largest tire and wheel distributors across all levels of NASCAR competition, is headquartered in Cornelius right off Main Street.
Children in Cornelius schools are under the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system, and many highly ranked schools are in the area. Cornelius Elementary School, Bailey Middle, and Hough High School are all highly regarded. Bailey Middle School was ranked the 4th best middle school in Mecklenburg County by independent ranker Carolina School Hub. Lake Norman Charter School, in nearby Huntersville, is ranked the best high school in the county by the same metrics.
Just like its school system, Cornelius’s justice system is also a part of Mecklenburg County. If you live in Cornelius and have a district or superior court date, it will take place at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse at 832 East Fourth St, Charlotte NC, 28202. Federal court dates in Charlotte will take place at the United States Western District of North Carolina Courthouse at 401 West Trade St, Charlotte NC, 28202. Despite sharing courthouses with the rest of the county, Cornelius has a separate police department from Charlotte, the Cornelius Police Department. As such, any attorney taking criminal cases from Cornelius must be familiar with local ordinances of Cornelius that may differ from the rest of the county. The experienced criminal law attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are familiar with these differences, due to years of practice in the area. Our criminal law attorneys are capable of handling criminal matters such as:
- Property crime (allegations of theft, breaking and entering, robbery, embezzlement, workplace theft, identity theft, fraud and other white-collar crimes)
- Sex offenses (including sexual assault, rape, crimes against nature, questions about the sex offender registry, etc.)
- Assault and issues related to domestic violence
- Expungement requests
- Drunk driving (DWI, DUI, boating while impaired, driver’s license suspension, driver’s license revocation, etc.)
- Drugs (including possession, sale, and trafficking charges, and issues related to marijuana use and possession)
- Traffic infractions (including speeding, seat belt issues, reckless driving, etc.)
- Violent criminal matters (such as murder, felony murder and manslaughter)
In addition to criminal attorneys who can handle criminal legal troubles in Cornelius, Arnold & Smith, PLLC, also has experienced civil law attorneys who can handle many civil matters that may arise in Cornelius. Our work includes issues such as divorce and family law issues, custody disputes, personal injury cases, and business disputes or litigation. More specifically, our attorneys are able to assist with matters including:
- Issues concerning divorce and/or separation
- Property division in divorce (including equitable distribution, valuation of marital property, determination of separate pre-marital property, etc.)
- Issues concerning alienation of affection, infidelity, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and abandonment
- Support-related matters (including spousal support, the impact of adultery on spousal support requests, lifetime alimony, support modification and termination requests, etc.)
- Same-sex issues (including same-sex adoption, divorce and custody issues)
- Child support issues (such as the awarding of temporary child support, permanent child support, modification of child support orders, impact of job loss on child support, etc.)
- Custody questions (including concerns about custody division, parenting agreements, visitation requests, custody modification requests, and termination of parental rights).
- Personal injury issues (such as slip-and-fall injuries, car accident cases, truck accident cases, medical malpractice matters, product liability incidents, etc.)
- Business disputes (such as contractual disagreements, claims of fraud or deceptive business practices)
The attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are at home in Mecklenburg County courts, having been founded in the area. Our Mecklenburg County office is located at 200 N McDowell St, Charlotte NC, 28204, just three blocks from the courthouse. If you need assistance with a legal matter in the Cornelius area, do not hesitate to reach out to the experienced attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, at 704.370.2828, and schedule your consultation today.