Davidson, North Carolina
Davidson is a town on Lake Norman in the northernmost part of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Davidson is a quintessential small southern town with a population of approximately 13,000. The town of Davidson is closely linked to the university that shares its name, Davidson College. Davidson College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the heart of town on Main Street. The balance between the college atmosphere and lake vibe is best seen in the motto for Davidson: “College Town. Lake Town. Your Town.
Lake Norman shares a place with Davidson College as a pillar of social life in the town. Lake Norman is known for its watersports activities and fishing, and is a common destination for Charlotteans looking to get out of the city for a weekend trip. Davidson’s position on the shores of the lake makes it an ideal shopping and walking area for those weekend visitors. The expansion of Interstate 77 has kept big retailers out of Davidson and the town has encouraged small businesses to take up shop in the town center. In fact, Davidson banned drive-throughs within town limits to keep fast food restaurants out of the area.
Davidson is obviously a great place to visit, but it is equally as good of a place to live. Its position 22 miles north of Charlotte puts it close enough to commute for work, but far enough away to avoid the bustle of city life. Due to its position in Mecklenburg County, Davidson is under the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system, which has many highly regarded schools in the area. Davidson Elementary, Bailey Middle, and Hough High Schools are where most Davidson children go to school. Hough is highly regarded for its athletics programs and was the home to University of North Carolina star Luke Maye.
Any attorney looking to practice in the Davidson area must be familiar with the justice system. Since Davidson is in Mecklenburg County, if you live in Davidson and have a district or superior court date, it will take place at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse at 832 East Fourth St, Charlotte NC, 28202. If you have a federal court date, it will take place at the United States District Court of the Western District of North Carolina Courthouse at 401 West Trade Street, Charlotte NC, 28202. The Mecklenburg County Courthouse handles both criminal and civil matters.
Speaking of civil matters, our attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are capable of assisting with a wide array of civil law issues that may arise in Davidson. Broadly, this work includes things like divorce/family law issues, custody disputes, personal injury cases, and business disputes or litigation. More specifically, our attorneys are able to assist with issues including:
- Issues concerning divorce and/or separation
- Property division in divorce (including equitable distribution, valuation of marital property, determination of separate pre-marital property, etc.)
- Issues concerning alienation of affection, infidelity, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and abandonment
- Support-related matters (including spousal support, the impact of adultery on spousal support requests, lifetime alimony, support modification and termination requests, etc.)
- Same-sex issues (including same-sex adoption, divorce and custody issues)
- Child support issues (such as the awarding of temporary child support, permanent child support, modification of child support orders, impact of job loss on child support, etc.)
- Custody questions (including concerns about custody division, parenting agreements, visitation requests, custody modification requests, and termination of parental rights).
- Personal injury issues (such as slip-and-fall injuries, car accident cases, truck accident cases, medical malpractice matters, product liability incidents, etc.)
- Business disputes (such as contractual disagreements, claims of fraud or deceptive business practices)
In addition to civil matters, the criminal attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, can assist you in a wide variety of criminal defense needs that may arise in Davidson. Although it is a part of Mecklenburg County, Davidson has its own police department, the Davidson PD, and local ordinances that may differ from the rest of the county. As such, it is important that a lawyer taking cases from Davidson knows these differences, and is appropriately equipped to handle them. The criminal law attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, have years of experience practicing in Mecklenburg County, including cases from Davidson. Examples of the types of criminal defense cases we handle includes:
- Property crime (allegations of theft, breaking and entering, robbery, embezzlement, workplace theft, identity theft, fraud and other white-collar crimes)
- Sex offenses (including sexual assault, rape, crimes against nature, questions about the sex offender registry, etc.)
- Assault and issues related to domestic violence
- Expungement requests
- Drunk driving (DWI, DUI, boating while impaired, driver’s license suspension, driver’s license revocation, etc.)
- Drugs (including possession, sale, and trafficking charges, and issues related to marijuana use and possession)
- Traffic infractions (including speeding, seat belt issues, reckless driving, etc.)
- Violent criminal matters (such as murder, felony murder and manslaughter)
Facing criminal charges is a serious matter. But when those criminal charges begin to affect your college education, the intensity doubles. The criminal attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, have experience dealing with university tribunals in addition to typical courtroom trials. If you are facing expulsion from Davidson College or another university in connection to your criminal charges, the attorneys at Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are here to help.
Our attorneys are at home in the Mecklenburg County courts, having been founded in Charlotte in 2007. Our Mecklenburg County offices are located at 200 N McDowell Street just three blocks from the courthouse. If you need assistance with a legal matter in the Davidson, North Carolina area, do not hesitate to reach out to schedule your consultation with the experienced attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 704.370.2828.