Marshville, North Carolina
Marshville is a small town in eastern Union County, North Carolina. With a population of just 2,500 and its location roughly three hours from both beaches on North Carolina’s eastern shore and the Great Smokey Mountains to the west, Marshville possesses the soul of a quintessential Piedmont small town. Marshville holds a rich history of cotton farms, railroads, and livestock farmers who have old souls, but have adapted to the times and become a statewide leader in several industries.
Founded around a freight depot known as Beaver Dam, the town that would come to be known as Marshville quickly rose to economic prominence as a center of agriculture. Cotton was grown and freighted to mills across the Piedmont region by the Central Carolina Railroad Company, and in the early 1900s, Beaver Dam was renamed Marshville in honor of J.W. Marsh, a prominent local landowner and town benefactor. In the mid-1920s, Marshville made the agricultural shift from cotton to grain fields to adapt to a booming national economy. Now, Marshville focuses primarily on the poultry and lumber industries. Home of the main Pilgrims Pride poultry processing facility, Marshville is North Carolina’s largest producer of turkeys. Edwards Wood Products, a large lumber and pallet plant, is also located in town.
Although Marshville is predominantly an independent industrial town free from the reach of Charlotte, US Highway 74 offers a quick, 35-mile drive into the city if needed. However, residents of Marshville more often make the 15-minute drive to Monroe rather than go all the way to Charlotte. Marshville students benefit from their location in Union County, as the Union County School District is nationally regarded for high test scores and a low student-teacher ratio. People living in Marshville attend Marshville Elementary, East Union Middle, and Forest Hills High Schools.
Although Marshville residents can choose to drive into Monroe for fun on weekends, they also must drive in for court. Residents of Marshville with district or superior court dates appear at the Union County Courthouse at 400 North Main St, Monroe NC, 28112. The nearest federal courthouse is in neighboring Mecklenburg County at 401 West Trade Street, Charlotte NC, 28202. Rather than contract the Union County Sheriff’s Office to provide police services for the town like many other Union County municipalities, Marshville has its own police department, the Marshville Police Department. Staffed by eight full-time officers, the Marshville PD consistently has one of the highest clearance rates (the percentage of charges laid against crimes committed) in Union County. With such a small yet effective police force, an attorney taking cases from Marshville must be familiar with each officer and the local ordinances that may differ from the rest of Union County. With years of taking cases in the Union County area, the experienced attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are capable of assisting in a variety of criminal defense matters that may arise in Marshville. Matters we can help with include:
- Property crime (allegations of theft, breaking and entering, robbery, embezzlement, workplace theft, identity theft, fraud and other white-collar crimes)
- Sex offenses (including sexual assault, rape, crimes against nature, questions about the sex offender registry, etc.)
- Assault and issues related to domestic violence
- Expungement requests
- Drunk driving (DWI, DUI, boating while impaired, driver’s license suspension, driver’s license revocation, etc.)
- Drugs (including possession, sale, and trafficking charges, and issues related to marijuana use and possession)
- Traffic infractions (including speeding, seat belt issues, reckless driving, etc.)
- Violent criminal matters (such as murder, felony murder and manslaughter)
In addition to criminal defense matters, Arnold & Smith, PLLC, also has experienced civil law attorneys who can handle many civil law issues that you may face in Marshville, North Carolina. Our work includes divorce and family law issues, custody disputes, personal injury cases, and business disputes or litigation. More specifically, our attorneys assist with issues including:
- Issues concerning divorce and/or separation
- Property division in divorce (including equitable distribution, valuation of marital property, determination of separate pre-marital property, etc.)
- Issues concerning alienation of affection, infidelity, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and abandonment
- Support-related matters (including spousal support, the impact of adultery on spousal support requests, lifetime alimony, support modification and termination requests, etc.)
- Same-sex issues (including same-sex adoption, divorce and custody issues)
- Child support issues (such as the awarding of temporary child support, permanent child support, modification of child support orders, impact of job loss on child support, etc.)
- Custody questions (including concerns about custody division, parenting agreements, visitation requests, custody modification requests, and termination of parental rights).
- Personal injury issues (such as slip-and-fall injuries, car accident cases, truck accident cases, medical malpractice matters, product liability incidents, etc.)
- Business disputes (such as contractual disagreements, claims of fraud or deceptive business practices)
Our attorneys are at home in Union County courts, having spent years practicing in the area. In 2019, we expanded our offices to reach the Union County area more effectively and opened a location right across the street from the Union County Courthouse at 114 W Jefferson St, Monroe NC, 28112. If you need assistance with a legal matter in the Marshville, North Carolina area, do not hesitate to reach out to schedule your consultation with the experienced attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 704.370.2828.