Weddington, North Carolina
Weddington is a small town in Union County, North Carolina. On the border with Mecklenburg County, it is a suburb of Charlotte, North Carolina. With a population of approximately 11,000, it provides a small town feel for residents but is still situated within commuting distance of Charlotte. Weddington is notable for being North Carolina’s third wealthiest town in terms of median household income at $132,331.
Weddington is a relatively new town, incorporated only in 1983. Before that, the area that is now Weddington was mainly agricultural. Family farms, two lane roads and the “long drive” to Charlotte were common. Now, with its town center at the intersection of NC 16 (Providence Rd) and NC 84 (Weddington Rd), Weddington is just a 30-minute commute to uptown Charlotte, traffic permitting.
Weddington has come a long way to become one of the wealthiest towns in the state from its humble origins. The growth of Charlotte has played a major role in this process. Many Weddington residents work in Charlotte for the many corporations that call the city home, but the growth of a local economy has helped expand Weddington as well. Hospitals such as Novant Health have established branches in Weddington and are major employers in the region. Lower housing prices, large lots, and space to breathe have made it a fast-growing town in recent decades.
In addition, the schools in Union County make Weddington a destination for families. Union County schools like Weddington Elementary, Weddington Middle, and Weddington High School consistently make national lists of excellence for test scores, student-teacher ratios, and more. In addition, Weddington parents take advantage of the proximity to Charlotte to send their children to Charlotte-area private schools like Charlotte Latin School.
Although Weddington is a suburb of Charlotte and its economy is closely linked to Charlotte, it is still in Union County. As such, Weddington’s justice system is part of Union County, and if you live in Weddington and have a district or superior court date, it will take place at the Union County Courthouse at 400 N Main St, Monroe NC, 28112. The nearest federal courthouse is located in neighboring Mecklenburg County at 401 West Trade Street, Charlotte NC, 28202. The Union County Courthouse is the only district courthouse located in Union County, and it handles both civil and criminal matters.
Law enforcement services in Weddington are provided on a contract basis with the Union County Sheriff’s Office. Weddington is renowned for providing a safe, quiet town for its residents, and in 2019, only an average of 38 police incidents per month were recorded. Since the town’s 2020 contract only provides 3 deputies to patrol the town, an attorney taking cases in Weddington should be familiar with each officer and the local ordinances that may differ from the rest of Union County. With years of taking cases in the Union County area, the experienced attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, are capable of assisting in a variety of criminal defense matters that may arise in Weddington. Matters we can help with include:
- Property crime (allegations of theft, breaking and entering, robbery, embezzlement, workplace theft, identity theft, fraud and other white-collar crimes)
- Sex offenses (including sexual assault, rape, crimes against nature, questions about the sex offender registry, etc.)
- Assault and issues related to domestic violence
- Expungement requests
- Drunk driving (DWI, DUI, boating while impaired, driver’s license suspension, driver’s license revocation, etc.)
- Drugs (including possession, sale, and trafficking charges, and issues related to marijuana use and possession)
- Traffic infractions (including speeding, seat belt issues, reckless driving, etc.)
- Violent criminal matters (such as murder, felony murder and manslaughter)
In addition to criminal defense matters, Arnold & Smith, PLLC, also has experienced civil law attorneys who can handle many civil law issues that you may face in Weddington, North Carolina. Our work includes divorce and family law issues, custody disputes, personal injury cases, and business disputes or litigation. More specifically, our attorneys assist with issues including:
- Issues concerning divorce and/or separation
- Property division in divorce (including equitable distribution, valuation of marital property, determination of separate pre-marital property, etc.)
- Issues concerning alienation of affection, infidelity, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and abandonment
- Support-related matters (including spousal support, the impact of adultery on spousal support requests, lifetime alimony, support modification and termination requests, etc.)
- Same-sex issues (including same-sex adoption, divorce and custody issues)
- Child support issues (such as the awarding of temporary child support, permanent child support, modification of child support orders, impact of job loss on child support, etc.)
- Custody questions (including concerns about custody division, parenting agreements, visitation requests, custody modification requests, and termination of parental rights).
- Personal injury issues (such as slip-and-fall injuries, car accident cases, truck accident cases, medical malpractice matters, product liability incidents, etc.)
- Business disputes (such as contractual disagreements, claims of fraud or deceptive business practices)
Our attorneys are at home in Union County courts, having spent years practicing in the area. In 2019, we expanded our offices to reach the Union County area more effectively and opened a location right across the street from the Union County Courthouse at 114 W Jefferson St, Monroe NC, 28112. If you need assistance with a legal matter in the Weddington, North Carolina area, do not hesitate to reach out to schedule your consultation with the experienced attorneys of Arnold & Smith, PLLC, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 704.370.2828.